Ridin' Dirty
This is the name of a song by the artist known as Chamillionaire. It is also the name of a painting that hangs above my friend Ben's fireplace. The painting depicts a swarthy cowboy astride a bucking bronco in bold brushstrokes of red, black, yellow, ochre, tan, and brown to represent the heat and dust and motion. It's very Impressionist.
Speaking of my friend Ben, Ben lives in the Dirty D. That's Durham, North Carolina, y'all! I went down to visit him for a week with my friends Jay and Agnes. It was a lot of fun. We went to three different beaches where we got to feed gulls and a nightclub where the DJ had a rotating playlist of music and a bar where we met two really rambunctious gay dudes who tried to quiz us all on the most embarassing sexual moment of our lives. We also saw a movie (Little Miss Sunshine) and watched a baseball game (Durham Bulls vs. Norfolk Tides) and went to a concert (Vienna Teng - she's okay). I didn't get to go to Carrburrito though, which makes me sad.
Speaking of Durham, Durham, North Carolina, is home to the Durham Bulls. You may have seen or just heard of Bull Durham, a 1988 movie about the minor-league baseball team that is the Durham Bulls, starring Kevin Costner, Susan Sarandon, and Tim Robbins. Hey, aren't Susan Sarandon and Tim Robbins married? I wonder if they met on the set of this movie.
Speaking of movies, I saw four movies and a half this weekend. It was a rainy Sunday! I tried to go for a walk in the Palisades but it started pouring and I had to run back to the car and drive back home. It sucks when it rains on the weekend. If the weather is nice there is all sorts of things to do - play minigolf or go to the driving range or play wiffleball or have a picnic or go to the zoo or swim in a pool. If it's raining you're stuck inside. Anyway, the movies were: 1 - Talladega Nights: The Ballad of Ricky Bobby (Will Ferrell, Nascar, and a bad French accent). 2 - The Squid and the Whale (horrible hipsters wreaking havoc on their childrens' psyches). 3 - Blood Simple (traps, adultery, murder). 4 - She's One of Us (existential French film). 4.5 - Barton Fink (I fell asleep about 30 minutes in so no comment).
Speaking of driving, when Agnes and I were driving back from North Carolina, she asked me if I noticed old men driving around in Escalades trying to pick up young things while I was in Wildwood. I said, Not really. Agnes said, Oh, because when I was down there I noticed a lot of that going on and it was pretty skeevy. At this I laughed at her and told her I knew she loved it. It's true. Every time some rednecked dude leaned out of his pickup to tell us how purdy we were I'd try to ignore him while Agnes would smile and toss back her hair and give a little wave. When I pointed this out to Agnes she giggled and confessed that she did appreciate the attention. I raised my nose snootily in the air and said that I try to discourage such boorish behavior. At this moment, I heard a Honk! Honk! to my left. I looked over out the window, wondering if someone was trying to point out that I had a flat tire or something. The "Maintenance Required" light had just turned on. Instead, what do I see? A curly-haired man, grinning broadly and winking at us, as he cruised past in an Audi. I couldn't help giggling. It was as if he had just overheard our conversation.
Speaking of my friend Ben, Ben lives in the Dirty D. That's Durham, North Carolina, y'all! I went down to visit him for a week with my friends Jay and Agnes. It was a lot of fun. We went to three different beaches where we got to feed gulls and a nightclub where the DJ had a rotating playlist of music and a bar where we met two really rambunctious gay dudes who tried to quiz us all on the most embarassing sexual moment of our lives. We also saw a movie (Little Miss Sunshine) and watched a baseball game (Durham Bulls vs. Norfolk Tides) and went to a concert (Vienna Teng - she's okay). I didn't get to go to Carrburrito though, which makes me sad.
Speaking of Durham, Durham, North Carolina, is home to the Durham Bulls. You may have seen or just heard of Bull Durham, a 1988 movie about the minor-league baseball team that is the Durham Bulls, starring Kevin Costner, Susan Sarandon, and Tim Robbins. Hey, aren't Susan Sarandon and Tim Robbins married? I wonder if they met on the set of this movie.
Speaking of movies, I saw four movies and a half this weekend. It was a rainy Sunday! I tried to go for a walk in the Palisades but it started pouring and I had to run back to the car and drive back home. It sucks when it rains on the weekend. If the weather is nice there is all sorts of things to do - play minigolf or go to the driving range or play wiffleball or have a picnic or go to the zoo or swim in a pool. If it's raining you're stuck inside. Anyway, the movies were: 1 - Talladega Nights: The Ballad of Ricky Bobby (Will Ferrell, Nascar, and a bad French accent). 2 - The Squid and the Whale (horrible hipsters wreaking havoc on their childrens' psyches). 3 - Blood Simple (traps, adultery, murder). 4 - She's One of Us (existential French film). 4.5 - Barton Fink (I fell asleep about 30 minutes in so no comment).
Speaking of driving, when Agnes and I were driving back from North Carolina, she asked me if I noticed old men driving around in Escalades trying to pick up young things while I was in Wildwood. I said, Not really. Agnes said, Oh, because when I was down there I noticed a lot of that going on and it was pretty skeevy. At this I laughed at her and told her I knew she loved it. It's true. Every time some rednecked dude leaned out of his pickup to tell us how purdy we were I'd try to ignore him while Agnes would smile and toss back her hair and give a little wave. When I pointed this out to Agnes she giggled and confessed that she did appreciate the attention. I raised my nose snootily in the air and said that I try to discourage such boorish behavior. At this moment, I heard a Honk! Honk! to my left. I looked over out the window, wondering if someone was trying to point out that I had a flat tire or something. The "Maintenance Required" light had just turned on. Instead, what do I see? A curly-haired man, grinning broadly and winking at us, as he cruised past in an Audi. I couldn't help giggling. It was as if he had just overheard our conversation.


1 Comments:
What did you think of my curly wig and the Audi I rented? Pretty hot, right?
Post a Comment
<< Home