Paranoia
Here is a list of things that are stressing me out at the moment:
1) The New York bar exam. It's a month away and I'm not ready. I know I have a month BUT I'M STILL NERVOUS ABOUT IT!
2) The New Jersey bar exam. It's a month away also. I'm not ready. I haven't even cracked open my New Jersey Civil Procedure book. I'M SUPER NERVOUS!
3) Dealing with a lawsuit. I'm being sued in relation to a car accident that happened two years ago. This is particularly stressful because of the conditions surrounding the car accident. i) I was driving my friend's car. ii) That friend was completely drunk. Because she insisted on leaving the party, I told her I would drive her car to my apartment so she could sober up before going home in the morning home. Unfortunately, we got into a car accident. She never stopped blaming me for it. Once she told me if I had saved up $20 a month to give to her to make up for crashing her car that would have shown her I was really sorry. The end result is that we are no longer friends. iii) That friend's parents and my parents used to be really close (I mean, we would go camping every summer and skiing every winter) until our older brothers got into an accident with each other circa 1996, and there was some fight about fault and money. After that the relationship between our families turned very bitter. iv) That friend's father is also named in the lawsuit (as the owner of the vehicle).
So anyway, the plaintiffs (the driver of the other car and a passenger) drove away after the accident. Meanwhile, the car I was driving was pretty much totaled and the cops insisted on packing me and my drunk ex-friend off to the emergency room. So those guys weren't hurt by a long shot. And this lawsuit comes after they tried and failed to get money from the insurance company, which rejected their claim. Apparently they are already collecting worker's comp and the insurance company determined that the injuries they are blaming the car accident for were actually pre-existing injuries from whatever it is they are getting worker's comp. So, the case will probably not go to trial and if they do the plaintiffs will probably not win. But I'm still worried about it. They are suing me for the ludicrous sum of five million dollars. My lawyer said not to worry. BUT I DO.
4) Character and fitness. Specifically, what if I don't pass the character and fitness examination of the Board of Bar Examiners? What if they find me unfit to be a lawyer? I did get suspended in seventh grade. And, two of my old bosses didn't like me very much. Personality clashes. I left one job on very bad terms with my boss, who was an evil crazy woman scientist who made me cry. The other job - it's not so much that I left on bad terms, but neither I nor my boss was sorry to see the back of the other. So what if these old employers say horrible things about me? And plus that lawsuit... what if they look at my driving record - a ticket for speeding, another for following too closely, and a car accident resulting in a lawsuit... what if I'm unfit to be a lawyer? Everyone tells me I shouldn't worry and its not like I ever did anything dishonest or unethical and that I'm a wonderful person and it will be fine BUT I'M FREAKING OUT!
5) Being in Toronto and having all my mail being sent to New Jersey. What if I miss some important correspondence? AAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!
6) I think that I am missing in a filling in one tooth. And I think another tooth has a cavity. OUCH!
7) I need to sell my car. Oh god, that damn car. Do you know that my car has been hit three times whilst parked? It even happened in Toronto! It's cursed! So, I need to sell it but I still have about $5,000 left to pay on it. What if I can't get enough to cover the balance? ARGH.
8) I have no money. CRAP.
9) I need to find an apartment. What if I can't find a good one? What if the only ones I can afford is in a seedy neighborhood? What if there are rats and roaches and the water in the faucets always comes out brown? AAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!
10) I still haven't got a final confirmation of my job offer. But, the initial offer was in December. And I did get a letter in April saying that I will be sent a letter in August with my starting date and instructions on how to report to the office. But the letter also said, "Final confirmation of this offer is contingent on your successful completion of law school and checking of your standard references." What the heck? They didn't check my references yet? Oh NOOOO - what if one of my horrible old employers says terrible things and they rescind the offer? And how could they not have checked my references yet? HELLO! The initial offer was in December! I'm sure it will probably be fine and it was just a form letter...BUT I'M STILL WORRIED ABOUT IT!
1) The New York bar exam. It's a month away and I'm not ready. I know I have a month BUT I'M STILL NERVOUS ABOUT IT!
2) The New Jersey bar exam. It's a month away also. I'm not ready. I haven't even cracked open my New Jersey Civil Procedure book. I'M SUPER NERVOUS!
3) Dealing with a lawsuit. I'm being sued in relation to a car accident that happened two years ago. This is particularly stressful because of the conditions surrounding the car accident. i) I was driving my friend's car. ii) That friend was completely drunk. Because she insisted on leaving the party, I told her I would drive her car to my apartment so she could sober up before going home in the morning home. Unfortunately, we got into a car accident. She never stopped blaming me for it. Once she told me if I had saved up $20 a month to give to her to make up for crashing her car that would have shown her I was really sorry. The end result is that we are no longer friends. iii) That friend's parents and my parents used to be really close (I mean, we would go camping every summer and skiing every winter) until our older brothers got into an accident with each other circa 1996, and there was some fight about fault and money. After that the relationship between our families turned very bitter. iv) That friend's father is also named in the lawsuit (as the owner of the vehicle).
So anyway, the plaintiffs (the driver of the other car and a passenger) drove away after the accident. Meanwhile, the car I was driving was pretty much totaled and the cops insisted on packing me and my drunk ex-friend off to the emergency room. So those guys weren't hurt by a long shot. And this lawsuit comes after they tried and failed to get money from the insurance company, which rejected their claim. Apparently they are already collecting worker's comp and the insurance company determined that the injuries they are blaming the car accident for were actually pre-existing injuries from whatever it is they are getting worker's comp. So, the case will probably not go to trial and if they do the plaintiffs will probably not win. But I'm still worried about it. They are suing me for the ludicrous sum of five million dollars. My lawyer said not to worry. BUT I DO.
4) Character and fitness. Specifically, what if I don't pass the character and fitness examination of the Board of Bar Examiners? What if they find me unfit to be a lawyer? I did get suspended in seventh grade. And, two of my old bosses didn't like me very much. Personality clashes. I left one job on very bad terms with my boss, who was an evil crazy woman scientist who made me cry. The other job - it's not so much that I left on bad terms, but neither I nor my boss was sorry to see the back of the other. So what if these old employers say horrible things about me? And plus that lawsuit... what if they look at my driving record - a ticket for speeding, another for following too closely, and a car accident resulting in a lawsuit... what if I'm unfit to be a lawyer? Everyone tells me I shouldn't worry and its not like I ever did anything dishonest or unethical and that I'm a wonderful person and it will be fine BUT I'M FREAKING OUT!
5) Being in Toronto and having all my mail being sent to New Jersey. What if I miss some important correspondence? AAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!
6) I think that I am missing in a filling in one tooth. And I think another tooth has a cavity. OUCH!
7) I need to sell my car. Oh god, that damn car. Do you know that my car has been hit three times whilst parked? It even happened in Toronto! It's cursed! So, I need to sell it but I still have about $5,000 left to pay on it. What if I can't get enough to cover the balance? ARGH.
8) I have no money. CRAP.
9) I need to find an apartment. What if I can't find a good one? What if the only ones I can afford is in a seedy neighborhood? What if there are rats and roaches and the water in the faucets always comes out brown? AAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!
10) I still haven't got a final confirmation of my job offer. But, the initial offer was in December. And I did get a letter in April saying that I will be sent a letter in August with my starting date and instructions on how to report to the office. But the letter also said, "Final confirmation of this offer is contingent on your successful completion of law school and checking of your standard references." What the heck? They didn't check my references yet? Oh NOOOO - what if one of my horrible old employers says terrible things and they rescind the offer? And how could they not have checked my references yet? HELLO! The initial offer was in December! I'm sure it will probably be fine and it was just a form letter...BUT I'M STILL WORRIED ABOUT IT!


1 Comments:
Yup, I can just feel it, you will miss a very important coupon in the mail.
Smoochies,
AB
Post a Comment
<< Home